The new ICM Curriculum: Supporting Excellence was implemented on 4 August 2021 following approval by the GMC.
In this section you'll find updates on key documents, progress, dates, changes and how implementation will affect training. We're constantly updating this page as and when we're able to provide further information, so please check back regularly.
Why a new curriculum?
- The 2021 update to the ICM curriculum (originally published 2010) was mandated across all medical specialties by the GMC, to ensure compliance with their Excellence by Design framework.
- Click the link for more information on the GMC's standards for the development and design of postgraduate medical curricula.
- Click the link for more information about the GMC's framework for essential generic capabilities needed for safe, effective and high quality medical care in the UK.
The focus of the assessment strategy is to ensure that intensivists in training are able to demonstrate to the GMC that they can provide the public with safe and effective care that meets population needs throughout the nations of the United Kingdom. There is an emphasis on excellence in training and teaching throughout, with use of assessment to facilitate learning. Assessment should be carried out in a fair and consistent manner with equal access to the assessments available to all trainees.
This guidance describes the overarching programme of assessment for the 2021 Curriculum and introduces the key components of the new training programme in ICM. The programme of assessment defines both formative and summative elements of the new approach to assessment.
Key related documents
The ICM High Level Learning Outcomes (HiLLOs) & how they were developed
- ICM High Level Learning Outcomes (HiLLOs) - HiLLOs form what used to be the domains in the 2010 ICM curriculum. They are broad categories of what Intensive Care Medicine Doctors do. There are different levels of attainment set for the HiLLOs at different stages of training.
- Example of how the HiLLOs were developed from the 2010 curriculum using HiLLO5 as an exemplar - to follow the development process, start with the 'Explanatory notes' tab and work your way through the separate tabs until you come to the 'HiLLO5 final' tab
- ICM HiLLO competency mapping from 2010 curriculum - spreadsheet demonstrating where all of the 2010 competencies are included in the new ICM HiLLOs
Have questions about the curriculum?
Please contact us.